Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ice, Snow, Poppies and Sleeves


How's that for a title? I woke up this morning to a nice coating of ice all over everything when I let the dog out at 5:30. I was so grateful that I didn't have to go to work today. I've driven to work so many times in bad weather that I didn't need to add another one to my belt. Now within the last half hour or so it's turned to snow. Very pretty snow I might add, nice big flakes coming down so soft and gentle. If we have to have snow already then this is the kind of snow I want. What would be great is if this snow only lasts a few days and we wait another month or so before we get any more. Like that will happen.
I was watching the CBS morning show this morning while I was knitting my sleeves. They are doing a decade a day for this week and today was the 60's. It was so fun to see some of the old commercials and clothes and all the footage of things I so remember. But one of the hosts had a paper poppy in his lapel and talked about when he was younger they always sold these paper poppies as a way of making money for the veteran's organizations. I had totally forgot about those! They were such a part of my childhood and young adulthood. Most of the men always sported a poppy in their shirt buttonhole and sometimes even as a kid we would buy a poppy and thought it was so cool. I wonder when they stopped doing that. At least I think they aren't selling poppies anymore.
So I'm finally seeing the finish line with these sleeves I'm knitting. After ripping them out about six times I'm almost to the end. If I wasn't such a perfectionist I might have been done much sooner. Since it's a sweater that hopefully Will will wear, I want it to be able to hold up and not fall apart and to look halfway decent. My goal was to finish the sleeves on these 4 days off and I think I'm going to make it. Next is the front and the hood and then I can try and figure out how to sew it together and my first sweater will be done. Yeah!
Well today is my last day of my 4 day weekend. It was so nice to have 4 days with no commitments tied to it. So many times during the school year there is a holiday involved with our days off that I never feel like they were truly days off. Like Thanksgiving (which I totally love). We have 5 days off. Wednesday I'll make pies and whatever else for Thanksgiving. Then of course there's Thanksgiving. Hopefully we'll shop on Friday. Saturday and Sunday I'm planning on putting up my tree and decorating. So see I really enjoy these days that are mine to do with as I please. Not that I always get done everything that I plan. I did accomplish quite a bit. Today I'm hoping to put some order to my den and figure out how I can keep everything I need in there and still use the space. I really need a big closet for that room. Since that's not happening I have to figure out some way to make it work. I can't scrapbook if half my stuff is downstairs and half is upstairs. What I wouldn't give to just have more space. As much as I try to get rid of stuff, there is so much stuff that I know as soon as I get rid of it I'll wish I still had it. I work with two diversely different people. One keeps everything. If we have hat day at school she can pull out a cool old hat she's had for 40 years. Her house is anything but neat but she is a most interesting person. The other person is a neat freak. If we decide to go out to eat some Saturday for lunch, she can never make it because she has to clean house. Trust me her house is always clean and she doesn't keep anything that isn't necessary. She's a nice person but not nearly as interesting because her life is so structured. They always buy groceries on Thursday. She plays bingo always on Tuesday. Anyway my point is I would like to fall somewhere in between these two. I want enough structure that my life doesn't get out of control, but I also don't want to get so tied to how my house looks that I miss out on things. So my den needs to find that balance today. It is totally out of control. Hopefully I can get rid of enough stuff that I can do what I need to do in there. Wish me luck. I like my stuff!
Well goodness I've rambled quite enough. I need to get to work on a few of those chores and finish those sleeves.
TTFN

No comments: