Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

57 How in the heck did that happen? We were asked today in an inservice how old we felt. Immediately I said 21 because really that is all the older I feel. Oh the body doesn't feel like it did at 21 and it definitely doesn't look like it did at 21 but in my head I am way more like 21 than 57.

Birthdays are strange things. I really truly believe that every day is a celebration of life and that one day isn't anymore important than the next. I truly try to appreciate every day and every moment but I don't think I celebrate near enough. And when it comes to birthdays I definitely have mixed emotions. On one hand I don't want any big doings and would like to just make my birthday like any other day. But then something happens like today. We all went out to lunch today at a Mexican restaurant. Most of the people I work with knew it was my birthday but this one teacher didn't realize it until the end of the meal. So when she went up to pay her bill she told them it was my birthday. Pretty soon the owner of the restaurant came over with a big plate of fried ice cream and gave me a kiss on the cheek and wished me a happy birthday. You know it was pretty nice to have my birthday recognized. It made the day feel special. Now isn't that what a birthday is supposed to be. Remember when we were kids and birthdays were big deals. For that one day we felt like the most important person on the planet. I've decided that we shouldn't give that feeling up once we become adults. If anything it's more important that we feel special for at least that one day out of the year. As adults we shoulder all the weight of the world and for one day we should get the royal treatment. Isn't it amazing what one simple act can do? An act that I wouldn't have done for someone for fear of embarrassing them because I thought I would be embarrassed if that happened to me. Well I wasn't. And I'm going to remember that and try to do a better job of celebrating moments whether they're birthday moments or just plain because moments.

Well one more day of inservice. I'm always glad to get to the school part of school. As nice as it is to have days we can go out to eat and work in our rooms, I miss having the kids around. At the inservice today the speaker (who was totally awesome) said you have jobs, then careers and then if you're lucky you have a calling. Well school for me is definitely a calling. I know I would do it for free most days. And I can't imagine doing anything else. Of course that's probably not what I say come about March, but deep down it's still there and that's what counts.

I'm still enjoying the Olympics and wish I could stay up past 9:30 to see it all. When am I going to hit that age where I don't need so much sleep. You know they say that as you get older you don't need as much sleep, well I must not be that old yet.
TTFN

No comments: