Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I Like Summer Vacation

As my summer vacation is coming to a close, I am really starting to appreciate the laid back, carefree days. I can at times look to retirement and think I could so do this. Especially days like the last two with Steve home. We just putz around not accomplishing too much, but just enough to not make the day a complete waste. We went to Walmart today and bought groceries. How nice it was to go in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. I look at some of the couples I know who are retired and I think I get it. It's not about going and doing. It's not about travel or being busy all the time. It's about the spending quiet days together. Watching the dog play with his new toy, going to Walmart, sitting on the front porch and watching the world go by. It really isn't as boring and old peoplish as it sounds. In fact I suspect that it is what most people no matter what age they are, are doing. It's just that I used to be one who wasn't happy unless I was going or doing something. Guess I must be getting old. Anyway I am going to appreciate these last few days of summer bliss. A week from tomorrow is back to school.


I had one of those balance balls that everyone had a few years back. I never really used it much. So when I was putting the finishing touches on the spare bedroom the other day, I thought Oh I bet Grady would love to play with that. And sure enough! We took it outside today and he just had a great time with it. Chased it around the yard. Way better than getting him a puppy to chase around. This thing requires no maintenance. Of course I don't expect it to last long but at least he's having fun with it.


We had a nice supper tonight, teriyaki salmon and ratatouille. I forget how much I like ratatouille. I need to make it regular part of our menu. Tonight we put shaved parmesan on top. Added just the right amount of tang. I haven't had a diet coke since yesterday morning. If I could give that habit up wow! First smoking and then diet coke. Anyway I'm trying to eat healthy. I bought lots of good things when we went to Walmart. I am so sick of falling back on fast food. I came across these bag meals. Actually Amy was the one who said they were good. They are only 2 servings (perfect) and they are complete. No meat to thaw or anything. And they are only about $6 give or take. In ten minutes or so I can have a meal on the table. The perfect thing for those nights when I come home tired and the last thing I want to do is stand anymore and cook. Those are the nights when it's always fast food. No matter what crazy stuff is in these bag meals they have to be better for us than burgers and fries. And reading the labels they aren't too bad in the calorie and fat content. In fact perusing the aisles of Walmart, I've discovered a person really doesn't have to cook at all. There are so many already prepared items out there. I still think the more we stay away from processed foods the better, but realistically I know that on many occasions I'm just not up to cooking from scratch. I guess it's like anything else you just have to pick the lesser of two evils. So hopefully with things like that we can stay away from take out.
Well it's time for pj's and a little tv. I need to get a regular bedtime routine in place too. The last couple of nights I've been awake for like 3 hours in the middle of the night and then we've slept in until 7 or 8. Totally unlike me and definitely not good with school in a week. That will be an adjustment.
TTFN

No comments: