TWENTY YEARS AGOI read a blog the other day where she was reflecting on what her life was like 20 years ago. I thought it was an interesting concept, realizing that I'm not sure I can remember exactly where, when or what I was doing back then. I gave it a go and here is what I came up with.
1. I had only been married 14 years.
2. I was 34 years old. Oh my, that's only two years older than my daughter is now.
3. Amy was 12 years old.
4. Scott was 10.
5. We lived in the same house we live in now.
6. Steve drove a green Honda wagon I think. I'm not sure it had air conditioning because we rarely bought cars with airconditioning or radios to save money.
7. I drove a brown 76 Maverick that we bought when we lived in S. California. That car was out to get me. It did things while I was driving that it did to no one else. Like die in an intersection and not start again. Or get in the driveway at home and you couldn't turn it off. The neighbor up the street, thought I just didn't know what I was talking about until he tried. He had to unplug the spark plug wires to turn the car off. By the way it never did it again. Not for me or anyone else.
8. I weighed about 150 pounds and thought I was fat. I'd like to weigh that now.
9. I went to aerobics 3 to 5 times a week.
10.I think my hair was permed. Think afro for a white woman.
11. I cooked supper every night.
12. I watched Golden Girls, St. Elsewhere, Family Ties and Cagney and Lacey.
13. I did aerobics to Phil Collins, Whitney Houston and Madonna.
14. Books that I remember I've read from that year were It by Stephen King, Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy and Fit for Life by Marilyn and Harvey Diamond. ( Bill and Joy were following their diet and losing weight. Gave it shot but it wasn't for me.)
Well I think I can see why I gained weight. I quit going to aerobics when I went to work full time. And we started eating out and going to fast food places all the time. Conclusion: Going to work full time has made me fat.